Thursday, July 07, 2011

Reflections on My First Visit to a Medieval castle.

The castle was in ruins centuries ago. Castles were outdated after gunpowder and canons came. Thus, most all the castles ceased as military powers well before the United States was even an idea.

I found it odd that there was a little chapel built into the walls of the castle. It made me think of having a prayer room built into an army tank. Don’t get me wrong, I believe in praying at all times. Nevertheless, the juxtaposition of a castle built to expand an earthly kingdom by ruling others against their will (in this case the Welsh) and a chapel made to worship Jesus, whose kingdom is not of this world, seemed askew.

The castle is a draw for tourists in this Welsh community but it also stands as a constant reminder that they (the Welsh) were defeated and ruled by the English. Most Welsh embrace the unity of Wales and England with its many economic benefits, while others despise the “occupation.”



From what I’ve read and seen of what it was like to live in a Castle when they were just built, I am inclined to think that my little apartment in Whittier is in many ways a far more comfortable place to live.

No comments: